The first thing that I did to the church was delete a bunch of unseen faces to clean up the geometry. I then split the geometry into peaces so that I could delete certain edges to lower the face count. I managed to delete 2000 faces from the geometry. This will help with render times later down the road.
I then organized and named all of the components of this model. The objects are grouped according to the materials that separate their UV's. I could not fit all of the objects on to one UV map, I had to use four. Therefore there are four groups.
Once that was finished I started UVing my model and unfolding all of the peaces and sections in the UV editor. Once I was finished I tried to pack a majority of the UV's into one map but that wouldn't work so I had to separate the peaces into four major maps.
After the UVing was done I duplicated the model to create two separate models. One would act as my base mesh and the other would become my clown mesh. When created I took the separate peaces of the mesh and made them each a different color for each material that I want to apply to the house.
Once the clown mesh was created I exported both the clown mesh and the base mesh using the FBX exporter in Maya. I made sure that embedded media was on so that it would export with materials. Using the clown mesh and the base mesh I created a color ID map for textures.
Once I created an ID map for each of the base meshes materials in a software called Substance Painter I then started to apply different materials to the model in a clean and efficient way. Using a color selection tool you can create different layers of masked materials. Some of the materials that I used were found on the Substance share site. Once applied the finished product looked pretty accurate to the painting.
To give the windows a similar look to the painting of the building I used Photoshop and an snapshot of the windows UV's to create similar shading from the painting.
I still have some small color mapping issues that I need to clean up in Photoshop. But other that that I plan on having the priests house and the bridge all cleaned up and textured by next week.




No comments:
Post a Comment